Wednesday, February 4, 2009

TATTOOS? WELLLLL REALLY NOT REALLY








I'm a big fan of tattoos, and I'm big on finding the meaning and history behind everything so I chose to research (lightweight) tattoos. Since I'm black I chose to start in Afrika (not a typo). From the information that I've found Egypt is thought of havin the earliest evidence of tattooing. However since Kmt(Egypt) has been over saturated with exposure I'll focus on the lesser known parts of Africa. The first I'll show is the mouth tattoos of th fulani. Seen in the picture above fulani/pele women tattoo there lower mouth at puberty and the upper lip after marriage. These tattoos are considered a sign of beauty. The next joints I want to bring light to are a type of body modification called scarification. This practice is still being done to day throught Afrika and are now becoming popular in the west. In this modification, scars are caused either by carving dents into the skin or rubbing charcoal in to cuts to cause keloid type lesions. These scars are then arranged in patterns that can be extremely elaborate. The symbols and patterns have religious, social, economic, and cultural meanings ranging in significance throughout the different tribes in Afrika. Though not my preference I can appreciate alot of the designs.


.

No comments: